The Global War on Terror Commemorative Medal was designed to Honor those military and non-military personnel involved in the Global war on Terror.
Campaigns included in the War on Terror include but are not limited to:
- Operation Active Endeavour
- Operation Enduring Freedom
- Operation Enduring Freedom – Afghanistan
- Operation Enduring Freedom – Philippines
- Operation Enduring Freedom – Horn of Africa
- Operation Enduring Freedom – Trans Sahara
- Iraq, and the Iraqi no-fly zones
- Operation Iraqi Freedom
- Operation New Dawn
- International Security Assistance Force
The Front of the medal shows the American Flag standing in the midst of a wall of flames, which represent acts of terrorism. Around the front of the medal are the words "Global War on Terror" on a ring of black, which serves as a solemn reminder of the lives that have been lost to acts of terrorism.
The ribbon is a field of military green, with the American red, white and blue in the center, representing the US Military, which is defending our freedom by seeking out and destroying terrorist groups. The ribbon is bordered by black lines as a reminder of the lives that are lost in those missions.
The reverse of the medal reads "Protecting our Homeland".
Also available in a black leatherette case.